The Device Dilemma

I’m trying. I really am. But I’m having great difficulty learning to sit in a room with my family while they’re all on ‘a device’ of one sort or another. I feel left out & end up chatting to myself (which I think may end up being problematic in itself.) I guess I’m supposed to be satisfied just being in their presence...but I’m not!!  

I don’t want to check my phone, or FB, Twitter, Instagram or SnapChat (if I even did any of the last 3) while my children & grandchildren are in the same room. I want to INTERACT WITH THEM. But of course, that kind of dinosaur thinking just elicits rolled eyes.  

It's easier when it's your place... you can still make the rules! But I haven't been totally successful with banning them... except for dinner.  When my granddaughter visits, she relies on the fact that she can hide away in her 'cave' at Mimi's.  But here I'm talking about when you visit THEM. 

Oh & it's not that I haven't picked up a book, or watched the TV (that is usually on in the room) till I'm bored silly. Even knitting. While I'm waiting for my kids to glance up & remember I'm there.

It's not that I'm a complete dummy when it comes to technology. I've kept up with as much as I'm interested in but I save my 'not at work techno time' for airport terminals & flights; or anytime I'm bored (which isn't often).  

So instead of seething like some damn martyr, it’s time to have a plan of action when you're in the same room with people you love but can't talk to. My suggestion? Leave the premises. Explore the neighborhood. If you don't have a car, explore where the local public transit can take you. Walking is simple & good for you!  

Leave them a note if you need to... & disappear.  

If you are limited in your movement capabilities, find out what's going on in the town you are visiting & tell them you are going out but need a lift.  Be secretive about where you are going and don't ask them to join you.  

I know this sounds sneaky & doesn't confront the deeper problem, but I am determined to find a temporary answer to this annoying situation by doing what makes ME happy! And I've discovered it works. :)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scared of getting out there on your own?