Scared of getting out there on your own?

Little Old Lady Travel…no GPS (which I barely trust) used; instead - written notes on torn pieces of paper.

Today I pushed myself into a rental car determined to find my way around Grass Valley & Nevada City, California. For those of you who don’t live there, it’s a wonderfully hilly, twisting, curving type of place & you can just go around & around till you believe you’re in Alice in Wonderland if you don’t pay attention.  My Air BnB host, Mark, wrote out the kind of directions I love: R on Lawrence, L on Gary, R on Carrie, L on Dog Bar… then straight for 6 miles. 

Armed with scraps of paper & my little prayer of protection, off I go. And I made it to my first stop… Grass Valley. Before I even started exploring I saw a sign for a Farmer’s Market & followed what I hoped were people heading there. They were! If I’d brought my camera I would have taken pictures.  The produce must have come from magic gardens as it was lush & tasty... California perfection;  the music was 3 old geezers who might have been famous back in the day, the range of white folks was pretty wide & generally it was a idyllic Saturday morning. I was especially drawn to a young woman, Deepika, who makes chutneys, paranthas, naan & a wide assortment of dips by hand.

I asked the caramel popcorn guy the way to Main Street Grass Valley & again, found it! As I wandered up & down & around I noticed that in several shops people were chatting away in the back & even though I didn’t holler my presence, I could have whipped several things in my purse if I was inclined that way.  I went into the Holbrooke Hotel which swims in 100 year old ‘atmosphere’ & the concierge guy never looked up from his phone call to “mom” but a cute woman carrying towels answered my 1 little question.

I purchased mint choc fudge at the sweetest store in town to go w/ a fresh pumpkin prantha & fresh baby kale. The biggest score was at The Center for the Arts where I got a ticket for a concert - Country Joe McDonald celebrating the 50th year Anniversary of the Summer of Love. (If you’re reading this maybe you remember 1967!)

Following my written directions backwards I made it back to my Air BnB home w/ only 1 quick stop to make sure I was on the right road.  I felt a little thrill as I slipped down the steep driveway…. I’d done it.  My conclusion? 

1. It’s a pity that most of the men I have ever known hated to stop & ask directions. You meet the most interesting people.
2. Take your fears apart 1 corner at a time. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Device Dilemma